Monday, September 27, 2010

So I went to a Mosque...



Masjid Miami Gardens Mosque 

I've never been inside a temple that worships someone other than my God. So a Mosque seemed an ideal place to experience something new. When it comes to my visit to the mosque, I'll say one thing; I felt like I was in another part of the world.

I went to a mosque in Miami Gardens. Although I was a little lost, I realized it was a mosque immediately because of its arquitecture. It's not what I expected here is the US but I thought it looked fantastic, like an Aladdin movie.

However, I was very worried. I didn't know if people would look at me and feel offended by my casual apperance. I hadn't spoken to anyone before going there, and although I tried to call several times beforehand, no one ever answered. So I went by clothing suggestions on the internet. I only have one pair of pants that don't show my legs, and they are tight jeans; so I went with those. I found a huge black scarf somewhere and covered as much of my yellow hair as I could, put on some high platform shoes so as to not step on my jeans and headed for the door.


As you can see from the picture above, I was welcomed. As I drove into the parking lot, I noticed dozens of children and parents dressed in very middle eastern clothing running out of the temple. When I got out of my car, I saw an elderly man walking towards his vehicle. I stopped him to ask if it was OK for me to enter the mosque with my attire. He looked a little confused and asked me why I was there. I explained to him that I wanted to learn about the religion and culture. He looked at my car, noticed the FIU decal and license plate and asked me if it was an assignment from school. I couldn't lie in a church!

Nonetheless Muhammed Hasain, who happens to be a volunteer at the mosque, led me to the front entrance and introduced me to one of the workers, who despite our lack of communication, due to the fact that he didn't speak english, was more than happy to have his picture taken.
Left: Muhammed Hasain, Right: mosque leader


So I learned a few things about how Muslims pray. The Imam, or the equivalent to a priest, stands in the front center of the room, while the men pray above the lines on the green carpet. Women pray seperately behind the white division boards. Once inside, everyone must be barefoot.

Hasain led me back outside and surprised me with a neat souvenir; an english-language Kuran. He taught me about the most important chapters and what the entire book is based on. I was invited to attend their most important prayer ceremony that takes placed on Friday. Needless to say, my experience was nothing short of positive.





No comments:

Post a Comment