Tuesday, September 14, 2010

On our last group conversation...

Muslims become a heavy topic this time of year. This year it seems that the tragedy from 2001 that we have just started to heal from almost a decade later, has come back to haunt us with all the media broadcasting the events of 9/11 again and again. I even came across a Facebook group invite to demand that September 11 become a national holiday. I couldn't agree less right now, but that's another topic.

I want to discuss the topic of muslims in America. We read and listened to some reports of muslims enduring Ramadan here. Maybe the term enduring doesn't apply because they actually look forward to their fasting season. Although like I've mentioned before, I have befriended muslims in the past, I was still surprised to learn more in our last class. I was amazed by the 14-year-old muslim athlete who had to (yes) endure fasting for the first time while continuing his arduous football practice.

I don't think muslims get the respect they deserve as real people. Our nation has almost entirely demonized the term muslim, which is so far from what they stand for. For some reason the more I read and learn about Ramadan, the more I understand muslims and the more I respect them.

PLEASE WATCH VIDEO, YOU'LL BE SHOCKED

No comments:

Post a Comment