Thursday, September 9, 2010

This just in... Fla. minister cancels burning of Quran

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/09/1815893/fla-governor-worries-about-safety.html

 Personally my biggest reactions are happily surprised and greatly relieved. Ever since 9/11 I've been more than ever critical agaisn't muslim discrimination in America. My biggest reason is because I had a muslim best friend for several years during my childhood. When she first came over my house, her parents came with her to meet my parents, who are catholic. They immediately got along and for many years I would stay over her house every friday. I participated in Ramadan with them a few times and really learned a lot about their religion and culture, and for these reasons I feel connected to muslims.

Years later when I was 18, I worked for a telemaketing company and both my supervisors were from Pakistan. Naturally being muslims, they practiced their religion faithfully but were always social and we have remained good friends until this day.

I feel as though people who feel hate for muslims, like Reverend Terry Jones, base it all on that 9/11 incident and probably have never met a muslim. It's easy to hate and fear what you don't know. And it's no surprise that now that he's met non other than the president of Islamic Society of Central Florida, Muhammad Musri, he's had a big change of heart. He knows a muslim now, and they got along.

Catholics are conscious of the terrorism caused by the religion during the spanish inquisition. I don't see other religions burning bibles on Christmas.

And on a side note, 9/11 was an awful ocurrence; I more than anyone would know since my mother worked in the World Trade Center at the time. But I know that people like my friend Jamila weren't responsible and I can actually tell the difference between the terms muslim and terrorist. I hope the rest of the population will someday know the distinction too.

No comments:

Post a Comment