Sunday, October 17, 2010

Muslim Mosque Round #2

I called Nasim, the wife of Muhammed Hasain at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday. My plan was to visit Majid Miami Gardens on Sunday, and Nasim seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable lady. So I was hoping she could really show me the ropes the next day and introduce me to people.

Thankfully I got in contact with her and she told me that they have Sunday School from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and at 2:00 p.m. they did a prayer before they were off to go home. Nasim and Muhammed are both volunteers for the Sunday school which gives classes to children of 4 years of age to 13.

I showed up the next day just in time for their 2 o' clock praying session. This time I went straight through the back where the women hung out separate from the men. First person I encountered was a tall young woman with an adorable blond and blue-eyed baby in her arms. I asked for Nasim. She spoke to me in Arabic, and somehow I understood that she was asking if I spoke arabic. I shook my head, and she asked me if I spoke english. I said yes, which I thought was redundant since I had already approached her in english.

Nonetheless, she wasn't sure who I was asking her about, but she took me inside. Once inside everyone was praying on the floor, however, as soon as a woman inside saw us, she pulled out two chairs for us to sit.

The young mother I was with asked me if I was muslim. I said no. She looked confused, which to me was a compliment because I felt like I was blending in. I told her that I was form a non-muslim family and I was there to learn about Islam. That's when she told me, in very well spoken english, that she had come from Palestine a year ago.

I looked all around for Nasim but she was nowhere. She pointed at a lady who she thought could help me, but the lady was praying with her back towards us. While the women and children prayed, the young mother explained to me the names of the five daily prayers and times. I had already studied them, but I wanted to keep conversing so I let her explain it to me.

After the praying session was over, the lady who was praying turned around and it was Nasim. Nasim saw me immediately and came over and hugged me. She told me that they were done for the day, but her husband wanted my email so that they can send me more information about the religion and their practices.

While this was happening, the young mother I was with disappeared and I never got to ask her for her name.

I asked Nasim if I could attend Sunday school next week and she said it was no problem. I also found out that although this mosque allows muslims from all sects, it's majority are Sunny's.

I was happy with how my visit went, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get to know the young mother better. I'm praying that she will be there next Sunday because she must have a fascinating story. Her baby is 8 months old, which means that she was pregnant when she left Palestine. I have so many questions for her and I can't wait for this week to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment